Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Awkward Encounter

So- - yesterday I dropped our profiles off at our adoption agency.  J  It was very exciting the first time Erik dropped them off….. this time was a little anti-climactic.  I was still pretty excited though.  And of course- - I documented the occasion.
 











I arrived at our agency around 1:30pm.  I was planning on asking to see CW2 so I could finally meet her in person and just hand the profiles to her directly.  I briefly freshened in the car, double/triple checked our books then headed inside.  Before getting in the elevator, I made a stop by the restroom.  As I was washing my hands, a couple of ladies were at the other sinks.  I kept glancing in the mirror at them wondering to myself- - “could any of them be CW2?..hmm…. surely not… how weird would that be??”  After all of our awkward glances and half-smiles, we all went in different directions after exiting the restroom. 

I waited for the elevator.  After a few short moments the doors for one opened.  I stepped onto the empty elevator and pressed floor number 4.  The doors were slowly closing when someone rushed to the elevator and threw their arm between the doors so they’d open back up.  She was frazzled and said, “sorry”.  I smiled and said, “That’s okay.”  Of course, I wondered- - “hmm.. wonder if THAT is CW2?...haha.. surely not.. There are tons of different businesses in this building..”
It was your typical awkward/silent elevator ride (not even any music was playing).  She got off (first) at the 4th floor.  She quickly went right.  I thought, “surely not…”  I turned right and proceeded with caution.  She opened the door to our adoption agency’s office.  “No way”, I thought.  I walked in behind her.  She stopped at the first office on the left and I went straight ahead to the reception desk.  I asked to “see CW2 please”.  The receptionist paused for a moment and looked at me like I had four heads.  She seemed confused and said, “uhm.. CW2 just walked in.. was she expecting you?” 
(NO WAY!!  Oh how incredibly awkward!!  This was such a dramatic moment at the time.  CW2 and I get off to the worst start EVER before even meeting THEN we experience this awkward elevator encounter?!...... And all of this BEFORE we have to start working together?!?!  CLOSELY working together?!?!  ………..  oh brother…..)
I obviously let the receptionist know that CW2 wasn’t expecting me… That I just needed to drop our profiles off but I wanted to meet her in person since we’re on her caseload. 
We met.  It was awkward.  She wasn’t mean.  But she wasn’t nice.  (Well, not in my opinion.  I feel like I have a very high standard of “nice”.)  She was not smiley AT ALL.  Hmph.  I really don’t like it when people don’t smile.  (side note- - she appears to be around my age which for whatever reason makes it feel a little more awkward).
As soon as I got outside, I called Erik.  I was laughing so hard telling him how our awkward relationship with CW2 just got MORE awkward.  I went into every detail that I included in this post (and then some) and the entire time, as the suspense kept buiding, Erik repeatedly exclaimed, "no!" between every sentence.  LOL! 
Well, that’s about it.  We turned in our profiles and are still waiting to hear back that we’re "approved”. CW said she submitted all of our home study information this past Friday.  I heard from her today and she said that the director is “confident” about our home study but is making some small revisions.  She said, “nothing of content, just for clarity’s sake”.  I’m SO ready to be “approved” already!!!! 
At least every one of these “issues” that have been driving me nuts is getting us closer to OUR child/children!!!!  I know we’ll cherish every memory that we’re making along the way.  J 

1 comment:

  1. You know, I could just hear your and Erik's phone conversation. You guys are so precious! I love to watch you together!

    ReplyDelete