Monday, November 7, 2011

Pets and Parenting

(Adoption non-update update:  We’re just waiting on our home visit to be scheduled!)

I worked from home all day today, which is wonderful.  BUT you probably all know that I have two very spoiled pets.  I am aware that I spoil them to pieces and most days they do not get on my nerves.  J  BUT today I had a lot to get done and they both demanded my attention.  All.  Day.  Long.
I seem to be the default “go-to” caregiver to both Zoe and Rascal and clearly I am the “go-to” caregiver when I’m the only one home!  Whether it’s Zoe bringing me her toys indicating she wants to play or Rascal jumping up on my desk and getting in front of my work computer demanding my undivided attention…… they.  are.  needy.  (I love them, mind you…….  But they are needy.)  J
I do not have a picture of Zoe from today but no matter what I am doing, she makes herself involved in it.  Here is a typical mid-day occurrence involving my sweet attention-craving pup.

It’s a miracle that I got everything done with so many distractions today, but after a long day…. my work was complete!   I was soooooo looking forward to a nice hot shower before I had to start cooking supper.  I turned my music up and climbed into the steamy hot shower.  Ahhhhhh……  Finally……  Some alone time.  No phone calls, no texts, no emails, no playing fetch, no filling water or food bowls….. nothing. 
Or so I thought.  What do you know….. my sweet needy kitty jumped up in between the shower liner and curtain and made himself comfortable laying on the top of the bathtub.  He decides to continually meow at me and paw at the liner.  I kept saying- - “Rascal honey…. Give me a minute!”
When I got out of the shower, I shut him out of the bathroom so I could have some privacy for cryin’ out loud!  ………….. Well, when I opened the door this is what I saw………….

Bless his little heart.  Look at that face.  So sweet. 
My little temper tantrum this evening of wanting “me time” made me have a realization.  Even though it’s a cat and dog needing me all day long, I think I got a glance of how moms feel.  I’ll take it as God preparing me for days to come.  J  I can see how it may be overwhelming at times and sometimes just down right frustrating being a parent.  But I have Rascal and Zoe to thank because they’re breaking me in “real good”.  J     
So, come on God.  We're ready. J I welcome a baby/child/children into our family with open arms!  We've got lots of love to go around and realize that it will not always be lollipops and gumdrops.  BUT I do believe that we will always appreciate and consider ourselves blessed to be "needed" by our children.  It will be impossible to forget how long we've prayed, yearned and ached to be parents.  We will not take it for granted.  Ever. 
(Here's a quote I saw on Pinterest.... It's got to be in our child's room.  It speaks volumes to how cherished our child/children will be.)
"You are the poem I dreamed of writing, the masterpiece I longed to paint.  You are the shining star I reached for in my ever hopeful quest for life fulfilled.  You are my child.  Now with all things I am blessed."

No comments:

Post a Comment