Thursday, September 8, 2011

Who's controlling who?

I have not felt that I’ve been in the “healthiest” state of mind lately.  Some things have occurred over the past several days that make me feel….. “heavy”.  You know what I mean?  Like, you literally feel pressure on your shoulders and heart from carrying burdens.  (These are non-adoption related things….)  I know, I know…. I need to turn them over to God.  And I’m working on it.  Lord knows He’s the only One that can handle the heaviness of our burdens.

Anyway, all of this stressful heaviness has had me feeling yucky.  THEN I saw on our calendar that our PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATIONS for our adoption were scheduled for TONIGHT!!  Great timing, right?!  My mind was all over the place!  I was NOT feeling very confident to go in and be analyzed by a psychologist!!  Eek!  We had been “warned” by the psychologist that it could take 3 hours to complete our evaluations.  Talk about intimidation….  We were just a little nervous.

The Lord was oh-so-good to me today.  I was in the car a lot for work and He encouraged me through songs, the sun came out and I was able to drive around with my sunroof open and the sun beating against my skin….. J  ahhhhh….  Then to top off my work day, one of the ladies on my caseload said I looked like a Mousekateer!  LOL!  (In all fairness- - I WAS wearing a rather large bow in my hair).   I got a good laugh from that and appreciated the reminder to lighten up and not stress so much.  (Thanks, God!)  

"When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy."  Psalm 94:19 NIV 

Sooooo…..  I was ready for this Psychological Evaluation!
  
Good news:  It was not bad at all!!

We got there (on time!) and the psychologist was super nice.  He greeted us/prepped us in a room together.  Then we separated.  Erik went to another room to take a written test and I stayed to be interviewed.  Then, we flip flopped.  We were out of there in 1 ½ hours!  (Score!)  J

It was funny to re-cap with each other when we left.  We compared our answers from our separate interviews and basically everything was identical.  We also compared our written answers, which were of course some different since we had to answer questions about our own personalities.

Mainly we felt that one of the written tests focused on 3 things:  your thoughts being controlled or not, suicide and alcohol (in that order).

We couldn’t help but laugh on the way home about all the different ways they asked about our thoughts!  This little section was kind of like True/False but you had 4 choices:  False, Slightly True, Mainly True and Very True.  They sandwiched basically the same statement about your thoughts in between the other statements over and over.  Statements like this: 

“I feel like people control my thoughts”
“I think people can hear my thoughts”
“I think some people can read minds”

We both agreed that we kept marking “False” on these but felt more and more uneasy as the question was repeated time and again.  It’s almost like the test was saying…. 

“Does anyone control your thoughts?” 
“Are you sure?!” 
“If they were controlling your thoughts how would you know?!” 
Now what do you think?!?!” 

LOL!!  We laughed and said we should have written in the margins- -

YOU’RE trying to control my thoughts!!”

Hahahaha!!

Well, we’re certainly glad that is over and it's just one more thing we can check off of our list! J 

No comments:

Post a Comment