Friday, June 17, 2011

Why so happy?

I have not had many times in my life (praise God) where I have hit rock bottom.  I’ll be honest about that.  Some may say I’ve had things “handed to me on a silver platter”, that I’m “living on Easy Street”, that I “get everything I want” or that “everything comes so easily” for me.  Well let me be honest about that too…….. I cannot stand hearing any of those things.  
I think the above assumptions are because people perceive me as being super happy.  I AM happy!  I love life, I love the Lord, I love my husband, I love people, I love God’s creation, my family, my friends…. Just everything. 
Is my happiness based on my life being super easy?  No. 
Have I had it easier than some?  Yes.
Do I feel that I’ve reached this childlike happiness in the healthiest way?  Not necessarily.  
Do I feel that I have a healthy perspective of my childlike happiness now?  Absolutely.

Growing up I would literally put negative memories/events out of my head.  I somehow could make myself not think about them and then forget about them.  (Doesn’t seem healthy, I know).  As a child and teenager I just wanted to have fun and thinking about anything negative really drained me.  I am a preacher’s daughter and basically grew up living in a glass house.  My family faced lots of pressures and Satan attacked us intensely many times.  So not only did I choose to not dwell on bad memories, I chose to put all negative things out of my mind.  I mean, I literally have a hard time remembering details about some of my past.  Honestly, I’m thankful for that.

“Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthythink about such things.”  ~Philippians 4:8 NIV

Now that I am older (and I’d like to think- more mature) ;o) I do not run from controversy, conflict or troubles.  I am not in denial that bad things happen.  Of course I still despise negativity.  I feel that it wastes precious time.  If we reflect on God’s goodness, mercy and love, how can we stay in a funk for very long?  I believe it is completely healthy and important to express our every emotion to God.  Even if that means tons of questions, anger, hurt, etc.  But I also believe we have to move on from it fairly quickly.  We have low moments and get back up.  We’re living for so much more than our own desires.

“We are happy because of the hope we have of sharing God's glory.  We also have joy with our troubles, because we know that these troubles produce patience.  And patience produces character, and character produces hope.”  ~Romans 5: 2-4 NCV

Since several of you have asked, I’ll address the question:  How am I so happy/cheerful all the time? …. Honestly, by trying to take the focus off myself and placing it on others around me.  As soon as I get wrapped up in “me”, I feel sorry for myself and get all out of whack.  Yuck.  Why do we do that to ourselves?  Those moments stink!  Christianity is NOT ABOUT ME.  I have to remind myself of that every day. 

We’re called to be like Jesus. 
“In your lives you must think and act like Christ Jesus.”  ~Philippians 2:5 NCV

What did Jesus say was the greatest command? 
“Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”  ~Matthew 22: 37-39 NIV

What is love?
*  “Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, and it is not proud.  Love is not rude, is not selfish, and does not get upset with others.  Love does not count up wrongs that have been done.  Love takes no pleasure in evil but rejoices over the truth.  Love patiently accepts all things.  It always trusts, always hopes, and always endures.  Love never ends.” ~ I Corinthians 13: 4-8 NCV
*  God is love. Those who live in love live in God, and God lives in them.”  ~ I John 4:16 NCV
*  (Jesus said) Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” ~ John 13:35 NLT

(I guess for me happiness = love.  I’ll be happy to talk more about joy, happiness, etc in greater detail in a later post if you all want me to.  It can come easily but you have to remember that like love, happiness is a choice.  And you must be intentional.  Intentional with your every thought and every action.) 

I love all of you and appreciate your love today and will especially appreciate it tomorrow.  In tomorrow’s post I’ll address some heartache I’ve had and am having now.  My current situation is the most troubling I’ve dealt with so far.   It is clearly a daily (sometimes hourly) struggle to rise above our disappointments, heartaches and trials. 

Thank you for being here for me.  You are challenging me to understand and explain myself which is helping me grow.  Thank you for reaching out to me, for your questions, concerns and for your prayers.  You all are blessings.  ♥

3 comments:

  1. Girl... LOVE LOVE that you are blogging... and I love your heart. Praying for you and Eric and asking God to heap blessings over you both.

    Now.. you missy.. keep blogging. You are such an encouragement to soooo many and you are needed!

    Love ya! - D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mallory this is an awesome blog. i like reading it and am glad you are doing it. you are such a lovely person to be around and also a great writer and i enjoy reading this. it's like a devotional and it is encouraging to me. Love ya girl. praying for you. love your joyous positive attitude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI.. This is such a motivational and inspirational blog. So you!!

    ReplyDelete