Sunday, June 19, 2011

What about Erik?

Today was Father’s Day.  We enjoyed a wonderful church service and spent most of the day with my parents, honoring my dad.  We had a fun, lighthearted day.  Just the way I like it.  :o)

I can’t help but think about Erik on this Father’s Day.  Lots of times I daydream about what kind of father he will be.  Especially today I could see it all so clearly.
 
This morning, our preacher’s lesson was entitled, "Fathers as Master Craftsmen."  He dissected the verse Ephesians 6:4:  “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.”  I won’t outline the entire sermon but will suggest you listen to it at http://www.northboulevardfamily.com/worship/audio/ if you’re interested!  It was wonderful.
 
The main point was that a father’s responsibility is to raise children that look like Jesus.  How?  To nourish, feed, provide for them, holistic teaching, experience, practice, exercise (don’t just TELL them the way to act.. SHOW them), interpret, give insight and wisdom. 

As we try to conceive…. and wait…. and pray…. month after month, I think…. “What about me?  I’ve always wanted to be a mom.  When will I get the chance?”  Well,…. What about Erik?  When will HE get the chance?  When will he get the chance to display a wonderful example of how a man of God should love, discipline, instruct and guide a child?  I have so much confidence in him and believe with all of my heart that he will be the kind of father that God intends for a man to be.  For our child to see the way Erik loves, respects and honors me….. I can’t wait.  To see Erik love, respect and honor our child…. I can’t wait.
 
But I must wait.

“Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.” ~Psalm 27:14 NIV

“Those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.”  ~Isaiah 40:31 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment