Monday, July 23, 2012

The Run Around

A few days ago my cousin told us about 2 little girls that need to be adopted in Jamaica.  They’re sisters- - one is 4 years old and the other is 18 months.  After hearing only a few details about the sweet little girls and their living conditions, we had no doubt to pursue this potential situation.
Unfortunately our adoption agency does not facilitate adoptions from Jamaica.  They referred us to a government website to get information on adoption laws in Jamaica.  After calling several toll-free numbers from the site and leaving voicemails with no returned calls, I decided to call other adoption agencies to try to get some guidance.  A couple of agencies were really sweet and helpful but it still did not result in concrete answers that we desperately need.
One lady said that she thought after we get our home study updated to meet the international requirements, we would have to send it directly to the Jamaican court system and deal with them on our own.  I told her that made me nervous and she kind of chuckled and said that adoption in Jamaica is just different.
I called a couple of different immigration offices in Jamaica to try to get some answers about where to start but got zero answers.  One lady hung up on me (gasp!) and another referred me to the Jamaica Family Court office but the number was disconnected.  (sighhh)
After making 9 different phone calls today and feeling like each one was a door slammed in my face, I put my phone down and just cried.  And cried.
Everyone I spoke to seemed so nonchalant.  It’s so infuriating to me.  I am calling about 2 precious little girls that need to be adopted.  They do not have running water, they have 1 meal a day at best and are learning to steal and/or beg in order to have their needs met.  And I’m getting the RUN AROUND when simply trying to find out how to go about adopting these little girls?! 
Everyone says adoption is not for the faint of heart.  Well, …. Amen. 
I can’t stop thinking about those sweet little girls.  My heart is so broken.  Please pray for them and their birthmother…….. and for us.
"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted, and he saves those whose spirits have been crushed."  ~Psalm 34:18 NCV
"Learn to do right; seek justice.  Defend the oppressed.  Take up the cause of the fatherless;  plead the case of the widow."  ~Isaiah 1:17 NIV

2 comments:

  1. Mallory,

    Perhaps in your run around you came across this website, but if not it has some useful information regarding phone #'s and requirements for Jamican adoptions. Praying for you! http://adopt.com/jamaica/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate the information and especially the prayers!

      Delete