Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Happy Spring and Happy Waiting!!

The very "first day" of things are always exciting to me.   You know, new beginnings….  fresh starts….  renewed hopes….etc.  J  Well, today was the first day of Spring AND the first day of us officially WAITING!!  We were officially “approved” to adopt on March 17 but we were actually added to the book of waiting families TODAY!!!! 
So, as of TODAY, March 20, 2012 we are WAITING!!
Let me explain this process real quick…..
First, the birthmothers receive counseling from our adoption agency.  Once they are ready to choose an adoptive family, they look at 1 notebook.  This notebook is full of mini profiles of all of the waiting families.  A mini profile consists of 1 picture of the couple/family, a summary of their personalities, hobbies, community, jobs, and a summary of what they are “open” to (i.e. the child’s race, gender, medical conditions, etc).  (I’m not sure exactly how many waiting families there are at this moment.  The last time I asked I think there were 28).
From that notebook of all the waiting families, the birthmothers decide who they’d like to see more information on.  We’ve been told they usually select their top 3-5 choices.  At that point, they’re able to see the Family Profiles on each of their “top” choices (scrapbook type books including the letters to the birthmother). 
The waiting families are not contacted or informed of the times they’re viewed.  They are only contacted when they’ve been chosen.  This is basically to cut back on the emotional rollercoaster.  Can you imagine getting a call that, “you’re one of 3 families that have been selected” …. Then later getting a follow up call, “oh- but they chose one of the other families.”  Yuck.  So, I’m perfectly fine with just getting the call saying- - “YOU’VE BEEN CHOSEN!!”  J 
So, from here there is no promised timeline.  They say the average wait time is 1-5 years from this point.  I feel like that’s an awfully broad average myself!  But they say some families have been chosen in 2 months and some have waited 5 years.  There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it……  Just God’s timing, I guess.  J
We’re very hopeful that we won’t be waiting too long!!  We appreciate your continued prayers and you know I’ll be keeping you posted on what’s going on with us!  We are in an organizing frenzy again!!  (And by “we”…. I actually mean “I”.)  haha!
Have a great week, friends!!  Happy Spring!! 
"The Lord's love never ends; his mercies never stop. They are new every morning; Lord, your loyalty is great. I say to myself, "The Lord is mine, so I hope in him."  Lamentations 3:22-24 NCV

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so happy for you both! My prayers are with you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so, so excited for what the future will bring!

    ReplyDelete